Sevenish Law Firm: Protection for the Unprotected
Indiana Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents
A child run over while riding a bike, or a pedestrian hit by a car, often suffers critical injuries - if they survive the crash at all. Protected by a bike helmet at best, the human body cannot withstand a collision with a two-ton automobile.
If a child or family member was struck by a motor vehicle while crossing the street or riding a bike, you do need a qualified attorney to recover compensation. Sevenish Law Firm of Indianapolis handles pedestrian and bicycle accidents throughout Indiana.
Call our toll-free Injury Hotline at 800.278.9200 to start the investigation while the trail of negligence is fresh. Witnesses leave the scene and as debris is cleared, valuable evidence is swept away.
Pedestrian-Car Accidents and Bicycle-Car Accidents
- 56 pedestrians and 10 bicyclists were killed in 2000 in Indiana, and hundreds more suffer serious injuries every year.
- Nationally in 2005, 4,881 pedestrians died when run over or struck by motor vehicles, and 784 bike riders were killed.
- 30 percent of pedestrian accidents occur while crossing a street.
Compensation for Bike and Pedestrian Injuries
To bring a claim for damages in Indiana, the pedestrian or bicyclist must prove negligence on the part of the driver. The accused driver has many defenses to avoid liability:
- The pedestrian was not crossing at a crosswalk, or crossed against a light.
- The child darted out suddenly into traffic.
- The child was unsupervised.
Randy Sevenish and his staff act quickly to preserve evidence and build a viable case. Eyewitness statements are often the key. The victim and witnesses may able to convince the insurance company (or jury) that the driver:
- Was inattentive (looking away, talking on a cell phone)
- Turned illegally
- Ran a red light or exceeded the speed limit
- Sideswiped the bicycle rider or forced him off the road
- Failed to exercise care in a school zone or area where other children were present
There can be complex legal issues. If the driver had no insurance, how does the injured bicyclists or pedestrian collect damages? Were both the driver and pedestrian at fault? Contact an Indiana pedestrian accident lawyer at Sevenish Law Firm to sort out the facts and work to get the compensation for your injuries. Victims can collect damages for medical expenses, lost wages, future medical care, loss of enjoyment, and lost earning potential.
Contact Sevenish Law Firm today about your pedestrian accident settlement claim or bicycle injury lawsuit. We care and we stick by our clients until compensation is secured (no recovery, no fee). We also visit victims at home or hospital as necessary, in central Indiana and statewide.