When you've been seriously injured in a traffic accident and are considering taking legal action against the responsible parties, you need the legal representation of someone you can trust to not only know personal injury law inside and out, but also realize just how important it is for victims to get the justice they deserve.
As decorated former police captain, SWAT team commander, and police academy instructor, attorney Randy Sevenish knows about justice. It's important to him. That's why, since 1985, the Sevenish Law Firm has helped thousands of accident and injury victims successfully navigate the legal system.
Our firm can help traffic accident victims pursue compensation for special damages, such as medical expenses, vehicle repair or replacement costs, lost wages and loss of earning potential, as well as general damages, including pain and suffering, mental anguish, disfigurement and reduced quality of life. The Sevenish Law Firm's seasoned attorneys are dedicated to helping clients secure the best possible settlement in the shortest amount of time, while minimizing their subrogation or payback obligations.
In cases like these, a positive attorney-client relationship is absolutely essential, which is why Mr. Sevenish created the Clients First® Bill of Rights, guaranteeing his clients respectful and attentive representation that includes honest communication, regular case updates, promptly-returned calls, and fair fees.
Also, Mr. Sevenish understands that when you're injured and potentially out of work, concerns about how you'll afford attorney fees are the last thing you need. Not to worry. The Sevenish Law Firm works on a contingency basis. This means you don't pay for your legal services until and unless the firm wins your case.
Common Types of Traffic Accidents in Indianapolis and Throughout Indiana
The Sevenish Law Firm handles a wide variety of traffic accident cases, including:
- Car Accidents. Rear-end crashes, head-on collisions, and side-impact accidents are some of the most common types of accidents involving passenger vehicles.
- Truck Accidents. Semi-truck and big-rig accidents tend to be particularly catastrophic for victims due to the trucks' tremendous size and weight. Federal safety regulations for commercial trucking companies and drivers can also add an additional layer of complexity to these cases.
- Bus Accidents. Thousands of people are injured in school, transit, and commercial bus accidents each year in the United States. The high center of gravity makes buses prone to rolling—combined with the lack of seat belts, even minor bus accidents may result in serious injury.
- Motorcycle Accidents. When a motorcycle is involved in a traffic accident, the rider's injuries can be absolutely devastating. Adding insult to injury, insurance companies may try to blame the rider for his injuries to avoid paying a large settlement.
- Bicycle Accidents. Drivers and cyclists are tasked with sharing the road, but when drivers fail to watch for cyclists or pass them too closely, accidents can occur. Like motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents often cause serious injuries and fatalities.
- Pedestrian Accidents. Crossing the road shouldn't be deadly, but when motorists don't see pedestrians or fail to yield, it can be. Because pedestrians have no protection against vehicles, victims who are fortunate enough to live often do so with severe and long-lasting injuries.
- Construction Site Accidents. When construction crews fail to follow proper safety precautions, leaving debris or equipment in the road, serious traffic accidents can occur. A personal injury attorney can help you determine who to hold accountable.
Causes of Traffic Accidents in the Indianapolis Metropolitan Area
Traffic accidents can be caused by any number of factors, including the negligence of another driver. On-the-road negligence can take many forms, such as:
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Drugged driving
Age is often also a factor in traffic accidents. For example, teenagers and the elderly are considered the riskiest drivers due to their disproportionate involvement in crashes.
Injuries Associated With Traffic Accidents in Indiana
When vehicles collide with each other—or motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians—the ensuing injuries can range from minor scrapes and bruises to loss of limbs and brain damage. These injuries aren't limited to the physical; accident victims can also experience long-lasting emotional and psychological trauma. Common traffic accident injuries include:
- Bone fractures
- Back pain
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal injuries and paralysis
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Protecting Your Rights After a Traffic Accident in Indiana
You may think you have an open-and-shut insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit, but an insurance company or defense attorney is likely to think otherwise, and may even try to offer you a settlement that's less than fair—if one is offered at all.
To protect your rights and built a strong case:
- Gather evidence. Take photos of the accident scene and any injuries, even if they're minor. Get contact and insurance information from other drivers involved in the accident, as well as contact information from passengers and witnesses. You'll also want to request a copy of the police report and have a doctor carefully document your injuries.
- Be careful what you say and what you sign. Don't accept or place blame for the accident, or discuss money or other settlement-related matters at the scene. Avoid making any recorded or written statements without first consulting with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Don't wait too long to take legal action. After an accident, you may want to spend some time relaxing and recuperating, but waiting too long to file a lawsuit may derail your case. In Indiana, statute of limitations laws indicate victims have just two years to file a lawsuit. Even waiting weeks or months can have a negative effect on your case, as evidence may deteriorate or get lost, and witnesses may move or forget the details of your accident.
Hiring an Attorney After a Traffic Accident in the Indianapolis Area
One of the best ways for victims to protect their rights after an accident is to hire a skilled and reputable personal injury attorney experienced with traffic accident cases. An attorney can help you save time and effort, ensure accuracy of important paperwork, and even potentially help you secure a larger settlement.
Contact Sevenish Law Firm today to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case and how we can assist you in pursing the compensation you need.