Indiana is an excellent location for bicycle enthusiasts. According to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, four U.S. Bike Routes (USBRs) traverse the state, covering more than 730 miles. However, wherever bicycles and motor vehicles share the roadway, the potential for accidents exists.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a bicycle collision on Avon Town Hall Park Loop Trail, the Ronald Reagan Bike Trail, or anywhere else in the area, our Avon bicycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation from the liable party. Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., can fight to recover your medical expenses, lost wages, and more, leaving you free to focus on healing.
Indiana Bicycles and Motor Vehicles Accidents Can Be Severe and Deadly
According to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), some of the most common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Abrasions, contusions, and lacerations (“road rash”)
- Strains and sprains
- Neck, back, and spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Knee injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Facial/eye/dental injuries
- Pelvic and abdominal injuries
The AAFP states that the most severe bicycle accident injuries occur during collisions with motor vehicles. Furthermore, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that bicyclists account for around 2 percent of all motor vehicle accident fatalities. And while child bicycling deaths have decreased, fatal accidents among riders aged 20 and older have nearly quadrupled since 1975.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries because of a vehicle driver’s negligence or the wrongful or reckless behavior of another party, our Avon bicycle accident attorney can help you seek justice. We want to ensure you have the necessary resources for your medical care and other expenses.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Avon, call 317-636-7777
Following Indiana’s Bicycle Safety Laws
According to IC § 9-21-11, bicyclists have the same rights and duties as motor vehicle operators on Indiana roadways. The law also requires that riders:
- Do not carry more passengers than their bicycle is designed to hold
- Do not ride two abreast on roadways
- Equip their bicycle with a bell that can issue a warning signal audible up to 100 feet
- Equip their bicycle with proper lamps, reflectors, and brakes
For their part, Indiana motorists must obey state and federal traffic laws. Drivers should avoid negligent and reckless behaviors, including:
- Improper turns
- Improper passing or lane changes
- Drinking and driving
- Texting and driving
- Driving aggressively (“road rage”)
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Failing to stop at a stop sign or red light
Additionally, drivers must obey House Bill 1439, which requires a minimum of 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicycle.
Avon Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 317-636-7777
The At-Fault Party Should Pay for Your Avon Bicycle Accident Damages
The party who caused your accident should pay for its related losses. Because most car insurance policies cover bicycle accidents, we may be able to pursue compensation through an automobile liability claim. However, in some situations, it may be more advantageous to pursue recovery in civil court.
Whatever your best course of action, the team at Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., can stand by your side and advocate for you. Personal injury law is our only focus, and we will not back down from tough negotiations or shy away from taking your case to trial necessary to get the money you deserve.
We will identify and pursue every cent you owned to you, which may include:
- Medical costs: Severe injuries can require extensive and ongoing care, including hospitalizations, surgeries, follow-up visits, physical therapy, medications, in-home health services, and long-term nursing care. We will review your current medical expenses and work with your doctors (with your consent) to understand the cost of your expected treatments, ensuring your lifetime medical needs do not jeopardize your financial future.
- Lost income: We can recover wages lost due to your injury and recovery, including benefits, bonuses, and tips. If your injury prevents you from returning to work or forces you to reduce your workload or take a lower-paying job, we can seek awards for the loss of your earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Injury victims can experience physical pain, depression, anxiety, sleep loss, and suffer from a reduced quality of life, such as the inability to participate in hobbies and activities they once enjoyed. Our Avon bicycle accident lawyer will listen to you about how the accident affects your life and pursue the maximum amount of compensation possible for your intangible losses.
- Property damages: We can recoup the cost of fixing or replacing your bicycle and other damaged personal property, such as laptops, cell phones, earbuds and headphones, safety equipment, and jewelry.
- Wrongful death compensation: If your loved one died from a bicycle accident injury, you may qualify for wrongful death compensation, including the deceased’s medical bills, funeral and burial costs, and lost future earnings. Family members may also pursue awards for the loss of their loved one’s love, companionship, care, and guidance.
Click to contact our Avon Bicycle Accident Lawyer today
Are You Seeking a Personal Injury Attorney for an Avon Bicycle Accident?
You can file your insurance claims by yourself or even attempt to move forward with a lawsuit. However, accident cases, especially those involving catastrophic and disabling injuries, can be complex. Furthermore, insurance companies will not hesitate to bring in their lawyers.
If you have expensive medical bills, face a lengthy recovery, or continue to amass losses, we strongly discourage you from attempting to handle your case alone. Attorney Randall Sevenish has represented personal injury clients since 1985. He can put his decades of legal experience and knowledge of Indiana law to work for you. He and his team can:
- Prove negligence using witness testimony, medical records, police reports, physical data, photographs, video, and other evidence
- File your claim or lawsuit, communicate with involved parties, and represent you during negotiations
- Fight for the most advantageous resolution possible
- Keep you updated every step of the way
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. for a Free Consultation After a Bike Accident in Avon
Contact us today to learn more about our Avon bicycle accident lawyer and how we can take your case at no upfront cost to you. Do not wait too long to reach out. The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury or wrongful death case in Indiana is two years, according to IC § 34-11-2-4 and IC § 34-23-1-1. We can help you get started before time expires.