Semi-trucks, or tractor-trailers, pose a heightened risk of danger and potentially life-threatening injuries to those of us traveling alongside them on Indiana roads. The massive weight of large semi-trucks—more than 80,000 pounds when loaded in some cases—contributes to the severity of the damage they can cause in collisions with smaller vehicles.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a large truck accident, you should not delay contacting an Indianapolis truck accident attorney. Severe injuries can lead to costly medical expenses and other losses. Truck accidents also require an immediate investigation and can involve highly complex legal issues.
Seeking Compensation for Indiana Truck Crash Victims
Whether your injuries prove severe or not, you may be able to recover various damages after proving the liability of a driver or trucking company.
Some forms of potential compensation include:
- Current medical bills, including surgery, hospitalizations, doctor’s visits,, and medication
- Future medical bills, such as rehabilitative therapy (i.e., speech therapy, cognitive therapy, physical therapy, psychological therapy, etc.)
- Lost wages if your truck accident injuries kept you from working
- Reduced earning capacity, if your injuries prevent you from returning to work or working in the same capacity as you did before your accident
- Pain and suffering, including physical and emotional anguish
- Burial and funeral costs, if you lost a loved one in a truck accident
- Loss of consortium for the emotional support your lost loved one provided
- Loss of inheritance for the income your lost loved one would have contributed
To recover compensation after a truck accident in Indiana, it is crucial to begin an immediate investigation. Otherwise, important evidence could be lost or destroyed. That is why Sevenish Law Firm encourages victims of tractor-trailer crashes to work with our Indianapolis truck accident lawyers immediately.
Holding Negligent Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies Accountable
Many truck drivers are honest, hard-working people who obey the rules of the road and adhere to state and federal regulations that govern their industry. However, some truckers and trucking companies who violate the rules can cause horrendous damage. When this happens, you can work with an Indianapolis truck accident attorney from our firm to seek fair compensation.
A high percentage of big truck accidents are caused by truckers who:
- Speed or drive too fast for certain road or weather conditions
- Drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drive while fatigued
- Drive large trucks while distracted—texting or talking on a cell phone
- Fail to keep a proper braking distance from other cars
- Fail to properly inspect and maintain their tractor-trailer
- Fail to use triangles or flares when stopped on the shoulder.
Trucking companies can be held liable for their drivers’ negligent acts that cause accidents, injuries, and deaths. Trucking companies can also be negligent in their own right and subject to liability.
For instance, a trucking company may be negligent when it fails to:
- Check a driver’s background, including prior traffic or criminal violations, before hiring the truck driver
- Train and supervise its crew of drivers, which in turn allows them to engage in dangerous conduct on the road
- Conduct mandatory routine inspections of the semi-trucks and trailers in its fleet
In the worst cases, a trucking company may force its drivers to engage in dangerous conduct that violates state and federal regulations.
For example, the company may require truck drivers to make deliveries that cause them to break federal hours-of-service regulations, which limit how many hours truck drivers can be on the roads. A company may also allow its drivers to operate tractor-trailers that fail to meet state or federal safety standards.
How Our Lawyers Can Handle Your Case
When we take on your case, we can help you in the following ways:
Evidence that could be vital to establishing a trucker and/or trucking company’s liability may include photographs of the truck wreck scene, the truck and its cargo, and the truck’s “black box” (electronic data recorder). Logbooks and inspection/maintenance records must be preserved as well.
Determining the Liable Parties
In addition to investigating the cause of a crash, an attorney may also need to track down multiple parties who could be sued for a victim’s losses. These parties may include out-of-state or foreign corporations.
For example, the trucker may work for one company, while the cab is owned by another company. Meanwhile, the trailer may be owned by yet another company.
Calculating Fair Compensation
A truck accident case must also include a full assessment of a victim’s injuries and losses. Because these accidents tend to cause catastrophic harm, extensive medical records may need to be reviewed. Medical experts and life-care planners may also need to be consulted.
Representing You in a Trial
Recovering compensation usually begins with filing an insurance claim, but if we cannot secure a fair settlement after negotiating with insurers, we can take your case to court. We can file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit to seek a fair court-awarded offer. When we take legal action on your behalf, we will:
- Handle all of the paperwork associated with going to court
- Represent you before a judge or jury
Consider Working with an Indianapolis Truck Accident Attorney
Attorney Randall “Randy” Sevenish has a background as a police officer and knows how to conduct the types of complex investigations that are involved in semi-truck accident cases. He also never backs down from a challenge, especially when a client’s health and financial security are at stake.
If you have been injured or lost a family member in a large truck crash in Indianapolis or elsewhere in Indiana, you can count on Sevenish Law Firm to seek justice for you. Don’t wait to take action. Learn about working with our Indianapolis truck accident lawyers during a free consultation.
Call Our Firm to Get Started
Sevenish Law Firm is committed to helping truck accident victims and their families to recover the compensation they deserve. Our truck accident attorneys proudly take on “tough cases” and fight for our clients in Indianapolis and throughout Indiana. To access a free and timely consultation about your case, contact us today.