Riding a bicycle is a great way to receive exercise and fresh air and spend time with loved ones. Most bicyclists are able to complete their routes safely without incident.
However, it just takes one motor vehicle operator acting in a negligent manner to leave you as the victim of a serious accident that can affect the quality of your life going forward.
If you were injured in a Lawrence bicycle accident caused by another party’s negligence, you have the right to seek damages for your pain, suffering, and medical bills.
A Lawrence bicycle accident lawyer from the Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. can defend your rights to compensation while you recover from your injuries.
Our firm is dedicated to personal injury cases like yours—this is the only type of case we take. This sets us apart from discount law firms that work in many different areas of law and end up a jack of all trades but a master of none.
Call us at (317) 636-7777 for a free consultation on your case as soon as possible. We will represent you on a contingency-fee-basis where you do not pay us unless and until we win your case.
Bicycle Accident Injuries
When out on the roadways in Indiana, bicycle riders do not have the protective materials that motor vehicle operators have available. Even if a cyclist is wearing a helmet, that does not compare to the seatbelt, airbags, and metal frame of the car that protects the passengers inside it.
A cyclist may suffer a dual impact in an accident with a motor vehicle. They could suffer injuries at the time of the crash, but he or she also could have additional injuries after flying through the air and landing on the ground.
After a collision with a motor vehicle, the cyclist could suffer any of a number of extremely serious injuries. These may include:
- Head trauma, including concussion and traumatic brain injury
- Neck and spinal cord injury, potentially leading to paralysis
- Broken bones
- Ligament injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Severe cuts
- Internal bleeding
- And more
In an extremely serious crash, the bicycle rider could die from his or her injuries. In a case like this, the surviving family members may have the ability to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party.
We recommend seeing a doctor as soon as possible after your bicycle accident, even if you are not sure your injuries are serious.
An evaluation by a medical professional will allow you to begin treatment for any injuries you sustained. It can also create a link in your medical record between the bicycle accident and your injuries, which may be used as evidence in your personal injury case.
To discuss your bicycle accident and what legal options you may have going forward, call the Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. today at (317) 636-7777. A Lawrence bicycle accident lawyer from our team may be able to assist you with your case.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Lawrence, call 317-636-7777
Driver Negligence in Bicycle Accidents
Accidents between a car and a bicycle can occur in a number of places on the roadway and for a number of reasons. If a driver’s negligence is the cause of your bicycle accident, they may be held liable for your injuries.
Some of the most common ways that driver negligence can cause a bicycle accident include:
- Not paying attention: when the driver is not looking for a cyclist or is distracted by some sort of electronic device inside the car, such as a smartphone.
- Drunk driving: when the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, causing him or her to behave in a negligent manner, striking the cyclist.
- Turning into a crosswalk: when the driver turns the corner without checking, striking a cyclist who is crossing the street in a crosswalk.
- Opening a car door: when the driver parks the car but does not check his or her mirrors to see if a cyclist is approaching before opening the car door, leading to a collision.
- Tailgating: when the driver passes the cyclist too closely or tailgates the cyclist, causing the bicycle rider to lose control and crash, even if no collision between the motor vehicle and the bike occurs.
- Violating traffic laws: when the driver is going too fast or ignoring traffic signals and signs, causing him or her to endanger others on the roadway, including cyclists.
No matter what form of driver negligence caused your bicycle accident, a Lawrence bicycle accident lawyer from our firm may be able to investigate the case, identify the liable party, and help you pursue compensation.
Lawrence Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 317-636-7777
Let Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys Work on Your Behalf
Some people may be tempted to try to seek claims from an insurance company on their own after a bicycle accident. We do not recommend such pro se representation.
If you are unsure whether an award from an insurance company for your pain and suffering and medical bills is fair, our team can offer you feedback during a free consultation. Call the Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. today at (317) 636-7777.
If you hire us in your Lawrence bicycle accident case, we can gather evidence in your defense and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf. If they are not willing to make you a fair settlement offer, we can file a lawsuit and bring the case to court instead.
The Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. works on a contingency-fee-basis, which means you do not pay any up-front fees for our services. Our payment only comes as a percentage of your settlement or court awards, if and when you win your case.