According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 19 bicyclists were killed in the state of Indiana in 2016. Unfortunately, countless other riders in Richmond are injured each year in negligent bicycle accidents.
Thankfully, Indiana law allows you to recover damages if your accident was caused by a negligent party. Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. understands that the legal world can seem overwhelming during a time like this. If you feel uncertain about your future after a bicycle accident, a Richmond bicycle accident lawyer can be there to fight for you and your loved ones.
We do not back down from a legal battle. In fact, our founding attorney Randy Sevenish has spent years fighting for equal rights on Indiana roadways. Whether you are a bicyclist, motorcyclist, pedestrian, or any other member of our community, you deserve to be kept safe.
You do not have to go through this alone. Together, we can help fight to protect your right to compensation.
To learn more about our services at Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., contact a representative today at (317) 636-7777 to receive your free consultation.
Recoverable Damages for Victims in Richmond
When courts award settlements in bicycle accident cases, damages are broken into two categories: compensatory damages and punitive damages.
Compensatory damages are meant to compensate you for your economic and non-economic losses, including:
- Medical costs: Covering past treatments, future care, and the need for rehabilitation
- Work-related losses: Including loss of benefits, wages, and earning capacity
- Property damage: Such as electronics, jewelry, and other damaged valuables
- General mental anguish: Encompassing emotional trauma, physical pain, and loss of companionship with loved ones
- Long-term disabilities: Including the stress and financial burdens of permanent conditions
As opposed to compensatory damages, punitive damages are designated to punish the most heinous offenders. As such, the court will only award these special damages if you can definitively prove that the negligent party caused your injuries in exceptional circumstances.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Richmond, call 317-636-7777
How Our Firm Assigns Monetary Values to Your Losses
The Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. believes settlements should reflect the true value of your pain and suffering. Yet, we know that every victim faces unique challenges after an accident. Therefore, methods for calculating damages may vary based on your specific needs.
When you retain a Richmond bicycle accident lawyer at our firm, we can use several methods to help assign a value to your losses, including:
- Documenting your current medical expenses and calculating the cost of your long-term care
- Estimating the cost of your damaged property
- Cataloging victim impact statements to show the extent of your mental anguish
- Obtaining proof of your lost income and calculating the impact of your diminished earning capacity
- Reaching out to various industry professionals, economists, and medical professionals, who can provide insights from their area of expertise
If you have any questions about calculating damages in Richmond, our firm would love to offer you a free consultation today to help address your concerns.
To get started with your free consultation and case review, contact a Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. representative today at (317) 636-7777.
Richmond Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 317-636-7777
Common Acts of Negligence in Bicycle Accidents
Depending on your unique case, several different entities may be responsible for your bicycle accident, including motorists, government agencies, pedestrians, and construction companies. Even so, most bicycle accidents are caused by negligent drivers. In fact, according to the NHTSA, drunk driving contributed to 35% of all fatal bicycle accidents in 2016.
Ultimately, the most common acts of negligence in bicycle accidents include:
- Failure to yield
- Speeding, following too closely, or other acts of reckless driving
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Failure to check rear-view mirrors
- Not giving bicyclists enough room on the roadway
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving, including texting behind the wheel
- Driving too fast for weather conditions
Click to contact our Richmond Bicycle Accident Lawyer today
Understanding Indiana’s Rules on Contributory Fault
According to Indiana Codes (IC) §34-51-2, unless you were 50% or more responsible for your accident, you are not prevented from recovering damages. To determine who should be held liable, the court will examine every party that could have contributed to the accident, even if not named in the lawsuit.
After reviewing all the information, the court will assign a percentage to your responsibility. However, even if you were only marginally responsible, your settlement may be reduced proportionately to your level of accountability.
As an example, if you are granted $20,000 in damages, but you were 25% liable for your accident, your total settlement will be reduced to $15,000.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Indiana’s Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims
The statute of limitations on your case may vary depending on who you name as a defendant. For most claims, IC §34-11-2 dictates a two-year statute of limitations, which begins on the day of your accident.
However, if you wish to file a claim against a government entity in Indiana, you must notify them of your intentions within a much shorter time.
In accordance with IC §34-13-3, the time limits for filing a claim include:
- Cities or counties: Within 180 days of your injuries
- The state of Indiana: Within 270 days of your injuries
Unfortunately, if you fail to file a claim within the allotted time, you may be unable to recover damages.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers Serving Victims in Richmond
Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., is dedicated to fighting injustice in our communities. Our firm proudly represents victims all over the great state of Indiana, and we would be happy to fight for your case in Richmond.
At the end of the day, a Richmond bicycle accident lawyer can help guide you through your proceedings from start to finish. If it helps, we can even handle your entire case while you focus on what truly matters in life: your recovery and your loved ones.
To get started with your free consultation today, contact a Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. representative at (317) 636-7777.