You may be entitled to receive compensation if you or a loved one was injured in a bicycle accident, whether that involved:
- Being hit by a vehicle, such as a car, truck, or motorcycle
- Falling into an open pothole on the road
- Getting into an accident because of poor road construction
Not sure if you qualify for compensation in your case? Call Sevenish Law Firm for a free case review by dialing (317) 636-7777. One of our team members can review the specifics of your bicycle accident and assess whether another party can be held liable for your damages.
If you live in Westfield, Indiana, we can also assign a Westfield bicycle accident lawyer to work on your case right away and help you pursue compensation. Call today to get started.
You May Receive Compensation for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
If you or a loved one was injured while riding a bicycle on the road, you might be entitled to collect damages beyond your physical injuries. Under personal injury law, accident victims may claim compensation for their economic and non-economic losses, which may include pain and suffering.
Our team can help you calculate the value of your losses, starting with your economic losses. These damages already have a financial value, so we may request different forms of financial documents to prove their worth. Some examples of economic damages include:
- Medical treatment costs
- Repair costs for your bicycle (or the cash value of your bicycle if it was completely destroyed)
- Loss of income, if your accident injuries affected your ability to work
- Reduced earning capacity, if your injuries continue to affect your working abilities in the future
- Out-of-pocket costs, such as for prescription medications
Once we get an estimate of your financial damages, we will then begin considering your non-economic damages, which are damages to your physical and emotional well-being. These damages reflect how the accident affected you personally, both short-term and long-term. They may include:
- Your pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Loss of enjoyment in activities, such as cycling
- Reduced quality of life or independence
- Permanent disability
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Westfield, call 317-636-7777
Sevenish Law Firm Can Help You Build Your Case
If you are a bicyclist who got hit by a vehicle, it might seem straightforward to argue your case, but the opposing side may make arguments that you may not anticipate. If your case involves poor road construction, for example, you may have to pursue a government entity.
Rather than risk unexpected obstacles, you can hire a lawyer from Sevenish Law Firm to handle your case for you. We handle personal injury cases regularly because we want to help people like you have a fighting chance when demanding compensation.
Our law firm can fulfill multiple legal duties on your behalf to help build your case, such as:
- We can review your case and identify who might be liable for your damages.
- We can investigate what led to the accident and see if other information or evidence might be retrievable.
- We can make statements or handle communications on your behalf if the insurance company or other legal representatives reach out to you.
- We can prepare the necessary paperwork and submit it by the legal deadlines.
- We can represent you when negotiating a settlement or at trial if your case goes to court.
- We can provide legal guidance on decisions you need to make throughout your case journey, including whether a settlement offer is fair to you.
A representative of our firm can describe in more detail how a Westfield bicycle accident lawyer from our team may go about representing you and what our team can do to prepare your case.
Westfield Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 317-636-7777
Do Not Wait to File Your Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
According to IC §34-11-2-4, you have about two years from the date of the bicycle accident to file a lawsuit following the injuries you suffered. This is a general legal deadline set by Indiana’s statute of limitations; however, other factors may toll or shorten the time frame you have to file your case.
For example, if you are pursuing compensation from a government entity because poor road construction led to the bicycle accident, IC §34-13-3 describes immunities that government entities hold and notes that suing individual parties have shorter deadlines (up to 180 days).
Our legal team can review which legal statutes are relevant to your case and determine what the deadline for your case is. We can also alert you when you need to consider filing a lawsuit if it is approaching soon.
Click to contact our Westfield Bicycle Accident Lawyer today
Drivers Must Respect Bicyclists On the Roadway
IC §9-21-11-2 grants equal rights to bicyclists as vehicle drivers on the road, with some exceptions. However, one key right that bicyclists have is the right to use the road without being harassed by vehicle drivers. Harassment can be defined as:
- A vehicle wrongfully entering the bicycle lane
- Driving too closely to the bicyclist
- Employing a vehicle’s horn to intimidate the bicyclist
- Purposefully driving the bicyclist off the road
Alternatively, drivers may also be held at fault if they do not look properly before making a left or right turn. If they hit a bicyclist while making a turn, changing lanes, or parking, they may be held liable for neglecting to look in their blind spots or pay attention to other road users.
Our team can investigate whether the vehicle driver’s negligence caused the accident and see if we can find evidence to prove your claims. Evidence might include statements from other witnesses who saw the accident, video footage from surveillance or traffic cameras nearby, or photos of the accident. If necessary, we may consult an accident reconstruction analyst to provide insight into your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Sevenish Law Firm for a Free Consultation About Your Case
Bicyclists should be treated equally on the roadway. So, when they get injured, they may be entitled to receive compensation from the party who caused them harm.
If you or a loved one was injured in a bicycle accident, call Sevenish Law Firm at (317) 636-7777 to hire a Westfield bicycle accident lawyer to represent you in your case. Our legal team will work hard to build your case and fight for fair compensation on your behalf.