Your motorcycle accident may have been outside of your control, but how you handle your insurance claim afterward is entirely up to you. Insurance companies are not the all-powerful entities they appear to be.
When it comes to pursuing compensation, you can negotiate a motorcycle accident settlement with the insurer. Yet, you may find the process easier with a lawyer’s help. They can protect you from bad faith insurance practices and uphold your legal rights.
A Lawyer Can Negotiate a Favorable Settlement for Your Case
The insurance company is not your enemy. Yet, it’s not looking out for your best interests, either. It’s more concerned with protecting its bottom line than paying for your losses. This is where partnering with an attorney can benefit you.
Assess Your Injuries and Losses
Before filing an insurance claim, your lawyer will assess the scope of your losses. This involves reviewing your injuries’ severity, out-of-pocket losses, and estimated recovery period. Your settlement may account for:
- Healthcare expenses, including anticipated care costs
- Lost income and job-related benefits
- Property damage expenses
- Other covered losses
Supplement Your Claim with Evidence
Your insurance claim needs documentation to reach a fair outcome. Your lawyer will find and use evidence to support your case, such as:
- Medical bills
- Invoices or receipts from out-of-pocket losses
- The accident report
- Photographs or videos of your injuries, your motorcycle, and the scene of the crash
- Medical reports from the doctor detailing your injuries and diagnosis
These items link the collision to your accident-related losses.
Send Your Demand Letter
Every insurance claim starts with a demand letter. This outlines:
- The amount you’re requesting
- The circumstances of your collision
- The extent of your injuries
- The liable policy (if applicable)
The insurer’s response to your demand letter will alert your lawyer to what happens next. If the insurer offers the compensation you need, then you can accept the money, sign a liability waiver, and move on. If not, your lawyer can enter into negotiations with an insurance representative.
Negotiate a Settlement
Your lawyer will go back and forth with the insurer during negotiations. This process could take a matter of days, or it could take weeks. It all depends on the insurer’s willingness to settle–along with other aspects of your situation.
For a free legal consultation, call 317-636-7777
Your Lawyer May Initiate Legal Action
Motorcycle accident claims rarely make it to court. However, if negotiations come to a standstill, your lawyer may file a lawsuit to pressure the insurer into settling. To prepare your lawsuit, your lawyer will gather evidence, prove negligence, and assert the severity of your condition. They will also follow courtroom protocol and everything it entails.
Additionally, your lawyer will file your lawsuit in accordance with Indiana’s statute of limitations. IC § 34-11-2-4 notes that you generally have two years to file an injury lawsuit. Filing your lawsuit within this period is critical to your case’s outcome. The civil court system refuses to hear cases filed outside that window.
You Don’t Have to Deal With the Insurance Company Alone
In a perfect world, recovering compensation would be easy. However, it’s more than filling out some forms and answering some questions. It involves protecting yourself from delays that could hurt your case.
When you partner with an attorney, they can:
- Protect you from bad faith insurance practices. Not all insurance companies negotiate in good faith. Some go to extreme lengths to deny claims. Your lawyer will recognize these tactics and deflect them, protecting your right to damages.
- Manage all communications. You don’t have to answer a single email with a lawyer on your side. They will answer all phone calls, emails, and text messages from the liable insurer. This leaves you free to focus on your health and well-being.
- Interpret complicated legal jargon. Sometimes, reading insurance jargon feels like reading another language. Your lawyer will review the applicable policy and fight for what you’re owed. They’ll also hold the insurer financially accountable for your hardships.
- Offer help on contingency. You’re likely experiencing financial hardship after a motorcycle accident. You don’t want to make matters more difficult by paying attorney’s fees. Yet, our team offers help on contingency. You pay nothing until we resolve your case.
Your lawyer is an invaluable tool in your fight for compensation. There is no reason to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company without support.
Click to contact our Can I Negotiate My Motorcycle Accident Settlement With the Insurance Company? today
Connect With the Lawyer Who Rides from Sevenish Law Firm, P.C.
Our founding attorney, Randall Sevenish, is an avid motorcyclist. In his time as a lawyer, he’s seen many unrepresented claimants miss out on the money they deserve. This is why he urges all motorcycle accident claimants to seek legal help after suffering harm.
Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. has negotiated multi-million-dollar settlements for motorcycle accident claimants throughout Indiana. We offer free case reviews where we can discuss your case and push for what you need. To get started, connect with us now.