You can sue for being hit by a semi truck. If the truck driver is an independent contractor, you can sue him directly. You may also be able to sue the trucker’s employer and the companies that own the cab or the trailer.
Your personal injury lawyer can evaluate your case to determine the best path forward.
Recovering Damages After Being Hit By a Semi Truck
After being hit by a truck, you may be entitled to financial compensation for a variety of tangible expenses, such as bills for medical treatment or vehicle repair, and intangible losses, such as pain and suffering.
According to IC § 34-51-2-5, you can recover damages if you are partially at fault for the accident. You may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses, such as emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging, doctor’s appointments, hospital stays, surgeries, outpatient treatments, prescription medications, and more
- Vehicle-related expenses, such as tow truck bills, auto body and mechanical repairs, or replacement costs if your vehicle was totaled
- Home modification expenses if you need to make your home accessible because of your injuries
- Lost wages if you are temporarily out of work because of your injuries
- Future lost wages if you cannot return to work because of your injuries
- Pain and suffering if your injuries are severe, require multiple surgeries or a long recovery time, cause you to lose a limb, reduce your mobility, dramatically alter your quality of life, or impact your mental health
For a free legal consultation, call 317-636-7777
How a Lawyer Can Help if You Have Been Hit By a Semi Truck
Your lawyer will help you through every step of the legal process after you have been hit by a semi truck. Here are some of the ways our team can help you:
Investigate the Accident
The police, as well as the insurance companies, will investigate the accident. The insurance companies are focused on settling the case for as little as possible and may not have your best interests in mind. Your lawyer can independently investigate the accident with a focus on your rights.
Your lawyer can interview eyewitnesses, gather police reports, collect images or videos from traffic cameras, and more. They can also gather evidence related to the semi truck, such as its logbook, inspection and maintenance records, and black box or electronic data recorder.
Estimate the Value of Your Damages
If you were injured after being hit by a semi truck, you can sue the truck driver and other parties for financial compensation. Your lawyer can help you recover damages for medical bills, property damage, pain and suffering, and more.
In order to seek proper compensation after the accident, you need to know how much your damages are worth. Your lawyer will collect evidence to estimate and support the fair value of your damages.
They can gather various pieces of evidence, such as:
- Medical bills and records
- Vehicle repair and tow truck receipts
- Estimates or bills and receipts for home modifications
- Past wage statements
- Pictures from the scene of the accident
- Pictures of your injuries
- Interviews with you, your family, and your friends
Handle All Insurance Matters
When you work with your lawyer, you never have to speak to an insurance agent about your accident again. Your lawyer will take over all dealings with the insurance companies. They will handle all written and verbal communication, file an insurance claim for you, and submit all supporting documents.
Negotiate a Settlement
Insurance companies like to settle cases as quickly and cheaply as possible. We can negotiate for a settlement that compensates you for the value of your injuries, property damage, and other losses caused by the accident.
Represent You in Court
In some cases, we cannot agree on a fair settlement with the insurance company. When that happens, we will file a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in court. Our team will fight for your rights.
Deadline for Filing a Lawsuit After Being Hit By a Semi Truck
You only have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit after being hit by a semi truck. IC § 34-11-2-4 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury at two years.
If you wait more than two years from the date of your accident to take legal action, you forfeit your right to sue. Act now, before you lose your chance.
Click to contact our Can I Sue for Being Hit By a Semi Truck? today
Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. Fights for Accident Victims
Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. handles personal injury cases, including representing people who have been hit by semi trucks. We do not back down from complex cases. Our team will work hard for you to get the fair compensation you deserve.
We work on contingency, which means that you do not pay anything unless we win your case. Call (317) 636-7777 today for a free, no-obligation case consultation.