Do I Need to Report a Minor Car Accident in Indianapolis?

Do I Need to Report a Minor Car Accident in Indianapolis?

If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident in Indianapolis, even a minor one, you need to report it. Although you may not be required by law to file a report in every circumstance, doing so anyway protects your rights and can help you recover compensation for your injuries.

Reporting a Car Accident in Indianapolis

Minor car accidents can be relatively harmless, causing minimal property damage and no injuries. However, in the moments after any car accident, it can be difficult to accurately judge the situation. What you thought was a minor accident could prove to be something more serious.

For example, you may develop injuries in the days and weeks following the accident that were not apparent at the time of the crash. You may discover property damage that you had previously failed to notice.

In order to protect your rights for pursuing compensation for your losses after an accident, the safe bet is to report any car accident. This ensures that you keep your options open and that you meet your legal duties to report.

According to IC §9-26-1-1.1, here are the steps you need to take to report an accident.

Stop and Call 911

In order to report your accident, you will need to call the police. The easiest way to do this is to call 911 and to remain at the scene of the accident until help arrives. Then, you can receive medical attention and make a report.

The officer will create an official crash report that you can later use as proof of what happened and how it happened. This can be particularly useful when proving fault in a personal injury lawsuit.

Stay Safe

While you wait, stay safe. Make sure you are parked near the accident site but not obstructing traffic. Your health and safety are the first priority, so be sure to seek medical attention from a professional.

They will treat your injuries and begin a paper trail that documents your physical condition after your accident. Like the police’s crash report, these medical records can be useful in a lawsuit or claim.

Pursuing Compensation for Your Injuries

Once you have reported the accident and received the help you need, you may pursue compensation for your injuries with the help of a personal injury lawyer from our firm. A lawyer can help you recover damages for your economic and non-economic losses due to your accident.

Economic Damages in Car Accident Cases

You may be able to recover money for the following economic damages:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Reduced earning potential
  • Out-of-pocket expenses relating to your injuries
  • Vehicle repair costs
  • Transportation costs

Non-Economic Damages in Car Accident Cases

You may also recover compensation for your non-economic losses after an accident. This includes things like your physical pain, mental and emotional suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. Your lawyer can give you a better idea of what kinds of non-economic damages you can pursue, given the specifics of your situation.

Statute of Limitations in Personal Injury Cases

If you decide to pursue compensation for your injuries through a personal injury lawsuit, your time to file is limited. According to IC §34-11-2-4, you only have two years from the time of your accident or injury in which to file your suit.

There may be special circumstances that can impact this time frame. For example, if you just discovered an injury caused by an accident years ago, or if you were a minor at the time of the accident, you may receive an extension.

Our car accident lawyers handle these kinds of cases in Indianapolis. We can give you a better idea of your options and how the statute of limitations applies to you after evaluating your case.

Call Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. Today to Learn Your Rights

At Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., we only handle personal injury cases, helping injured people just like you fight for the compensation they deserve after a car accident leaves them hurt. We are dedicated to getting the best possible outcome for our clients, and we will not hesitate to bring your case to court to seek fair compensation.

Personal injury lawyer Randall Sevenish and his team are ready to get started on your case. To receive your free consultation about your car accident lawsuit or claim, call Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. today.

Fierce Protectors of the Injured™

Video Testimonials

Copyright © 2023 Sevenish Law | Disclaimer | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Powered by DRIVE Law Firm Marketing

Fierce Protectors of the Injured™

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Contact one of our legal experts and get a prompt review of your case.
24 Hours | 7 days a week

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.