According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists constitute the majority of fatal traffic deaths. In 2020, 5,579 riders died in motorcycle accidents. In fact, for each mile driven, motorcyclists were 28 times more at risk of dying in accidents and four times more likely to suffer serious injuries.
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence, you may face financial uncertainty during this already challenging time. A wrongful death motorcycle accident claim against the at-fault party may alleviate this financial burden while you mourn your loss.
Risk Factors That Contribute to Motorcycle Accidents
There are many reasons why motorcycle accidents produce more casualties than other collisions. Some reasons include:
- Motorcycles structurally offer little protection to riders. In the event of a collision, a motorcycle cannot absorb the shock of impact caused by other vehicles.
- Due to limited protection, motorcyclists are more vulnerable to poor road conditions, such as flying debris, potholes, loose gravel, and uneven roads.
- Because of their compact design and size, motorcyclists are less visible to drivers when trying to change lanes or make turns.
- Only on two wheels, motorcycles are less stable than cars and trucks. This means braking suddenly and taking sharp corners can cause the motorcyclist to spin out of control.
Distracted driving, impaired driving, speeding, or aggressive driving by other motorists can also result in motorcycle accidents.
For a free legal consultation, call 317-636-7777
Motorcycle Accidents Can Result in These Life-Threatening Conditions
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) or head injuries are the primary contributors to motorcycle accident deaths, even in cases where the rider was wearing a helmet. Some examples of these conditions include:
- Skull fractures: This occurs when the cranial bone — the bone surrounding the brain — breaks from impact. Severe skull fractures can be fatal or cause permanent brain damage.
- Hemorrhage: Bleeding may occur outside the brain due to blood vessels bursting from impact. This can result in brain damage or even death.
- Cerebral edema: Fluid build-up around the brain from a head injury can cause intracranial pressure and block the brain’s blood supply.
Besides head injuries, spinal cord trauma, organ damage, and blood loss also contribute to motorcycle accident deaths. While everyone has the right to enjoy a ride on their motorcycle, collisions involving these vehicles can produce deadly results.
You Can Pursue Damages Through a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
The sudden loss of a family member is traumatic. The pain compounds when you learn another party’s actions caused their passing. Through legal action, your compensable losses could comprise:
- Your loved one’s medical bills related to their motorcycle-related injuries
- Your loved one’s pain and suffering before their passing
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of companionship
- The deceased’s lost wages
- Loss of inheritance
You do not have to manage a complex legal case on your own. Instead, you can partner with a wrongful death attorney who can complete your case and advocate for what you need.
Click to contact our How Common are Motorcycle Deaths? today
Why Partner with a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Indiana?
After an investigation, your lawyer will review the facts to understand how the accident occurred. From there, they can identify the liable party and negotiate for the funds you need. This is easier said than done, however.
Your lawyer may find that multiple parties bear liability for your loved one’s passing, including:
- Another vehicle’s driver
- The driver’s employer (if an on-the-clock employee caused the accident)
- The manufacturer of a faulty auto part
- A government entity (if the crash resulted from unsafe road conditions)
A motorcycle accident lawyer can do more than prove liability for your loved one’s passing. They can also file your claim, negotiate with the insurance company, and fight for a fair outcome.
You Can Get Legal Help at No Out-of-Pocket Cost
Many motorcycle accident attorneys offer help on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they don’t charge anything upfront for their help. First, they do everything possible to secure compensation for your losses. Then, after resolving your case, a portion of your settlement pays for their help.
You don’t have to worry about cutting costs or taking another job to afford legal help. Our team provides comprehensive legal aid without jeopardizing your financial stability.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Prevalent Are Motorcycle Accident Fatalities and How We Can Help
Motorcycle fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2020, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). These catastrophic accidents are more prevalent than most people think.
If you lost a family member due to another driver’s negligent or reckless actions, the team at Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. can help. Our motorcycle accident attorney will do the following:
- Investigate the crash
- Determine liability
- Gather evidence to support your case
- Calculate a value for your damages
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company
- Take your case to court, if needed
- Keep you updated on any new developments in your case.
Our goal is to get you the compensation you need to move forward in your life. We will handle your legal issues while you focus on your recovery.
Contact an Indianapolis Motorcycle Accident Lawyer To File Your Claim
Randy is the Lawyer Who Rides. As a fellow rider, Randall “Randy” Sevenish has experienced first-hand the risks motorcyclists face when sharing the road with other motorists. As a motorcycle accident lawyer in Indianapolis, Attorney Sevenish has decades of experience advocating for injured claimants and their loved ones.
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, do not wait to take legal action. Indiana’s statute of limitations limits how long you have to file your case. While your family grieves and spends time together, Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. will handle your motorcycle accident death claim or lawsuit. Call today to begin your free case review.