According to the City of Jeffersonville, there are a couple of ways to get a car accident report:
- You may pick a copy up in person through the Jeffersonville Police Records Division.
- You can retrieve a copy online through the BuyCrash portal, which is used by the Indiana State Police and the Jeffersonville Police Department.
The aftermath of an accident can be challenging, however. We can help you get a copy of your accident report for you and handle all other paperwork for your case.
Getting Your Accident Report
If you choose to pick up your report in person through the Jeffersonville Police Records Division, keep in mind that:
- A copy will cost $5.
- Your report will become available three business days after the police submit the report.
If you choose to get your accident report online through the BuyCrash website, you can expect to:
- Pay $12 for a copy
- Give information about your accident report number as well as the location and date of the accident
Why Your Accident Report Is Important for Your Case
The police report will likely play a valuable role in your case. This report may include information such as:
- When and how the accident happened
- Information identifying the at-fault party
- Notes on damage to the vehicles
- Citations issued to any drivers
- Witness statements
When we present our case to an insurance company, we will need to use compelling evidence to show who was responsible for the accident and the losses you sustained. The details in your accident report can help us build that evidence.
Proving the Other Driver Was Responsible
The accident report can help to prove that the other driver was at fault if:
- They were issued citations
- The vehicle damage report suggests they caused the crash
- Witness statements confirm they were responsible
On the other hand, the police might not have issued the other driver any citations. In such cases, we may be able to gather additional evidence to support your case.
When the Police Report Indicates That You Are Partly at Fault
You may have concerns about how the accident report depicts your own role in the crash. For instance, the police officer may have suggested that you shared some blame for the accident. You even may have been issued a citation.
However, you don’t have to let this stop you from seeking compensation. In Indiana, you are only unable to pursue payment from the liable party who injured you if you were more at fault than the other person, per IC §15-20-1-3.
We can help you understand your legal options and tell you how contributory fault laws apply to your situation.
Other Forms of Evidence We Will Gather for Your Case File
Your evidence will not begin and end with the accident report, however. Depending on the details of your case, we may also gather evidence from sources, such as:
- Medical records
- Testimony from your doctor
- Eyewitness statements
- Cell phone records of the other driver
- Traffic camera footage of the accident
- Accident reconstruction
- Receipts for your out-of-pocket expenses
We Will Work Hard to Seek the Recovery You Deserve
We want to put together a compelling case for your full and fair compensation, even in complicated cases. For instance, the insurer might argue that your prior health condition contributed to your injuries—not their client’s negligence. They may claim that you were more to blame for the accident than you truly were.
Keep in mind that we do not shy away from challenging cases. This means that:
- If we need to gather expert testimony to prove the extent of your injuries and losses, we can do so.
- If we need to scour the accident scene for evidence that the other driver bears most of the fault, we will.
We will fight for you through every step of your case—from the immediate aftermath of the accident to the conclusion of your case.
- Assess what damages you may qualify to seek, including past and future medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering
- Determine a fair value for your case and negotiate for your best interests through an insurance claim or lawsuit
- Take your case to court if the insurer refuses to make a fair offer
You don’t have to wait any longer to get help with your case. We work based on contingency-fee representation, which entails no up-front costs to get started with a case.
Call Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. to Discuss Your Case
At Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., we are not like other law firms that are a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none. Instead, we only work on personal injury cases. We are dedicated to fighting for injured people like you and will bring our experience to bear in your fight for compensation.
You can call our team anytime, day or night, to learn about how to get a police report for a car accident in Jeffersonville. You can also ask more about what your case could be worth and how we can get to work on your claim today by calling us now for a free case review.