I’m a Police Officer Who Was Injured on the Job. Will Getting a Lawyer Get Me in Trouble or Fired?

I’m a Police Officer Who Was Injured on the Job. Will Getting a Lawyer Get Me in Trouble or Fired?

Indiana’s a right-to-work state. Your employer can fire you at any time for virtually any reason. However, you cannot get fired or “in trouble” for filing a workers’ compensation or personal injury claim. 

If you’re worried about termination or retaliation from your employer, our firm can uphold your legal rights after being injured on the job. We can also explore whether you qualify to seek compensation through an injury claim or a lawsuit. 

You Have These Job-Related Protections Under Indiana Law

In Indiana, your employer yields a lot of power. They can fire you for showing up late, performing poorly, and committing seemingly minor infractions. However, your employer cannot fire you on these grounds: 

  • Discrimination. It’s illegal to fire someone because of their age, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other related factors. Being fired on these grounds would constitute wrongful termination. 
  • Breach of contract. Some counties hire police officers on contracts. If your employer fires you before your contract expires, this is unlawful. 
  • Retaliation. Your employer cannot fire you for whistleblowing, initiating legal action, getting a lawyer, or filing an injury claim. 

Even though you have these protections, some employers ignore these rules. Our team can assess your situation and provide legal aid. 

What On-the-Job Injuries Qualify for Compensation in Indiana?

Injury claims and lawsuits can arise from: 

  • Motor vehicle accidents 
  • Exposure to chemicals, such as toxic fumes 
  • Overexertion accidents 
  • Slips, trips, and falls 
  • Mental anguish, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) 
  • Fires and explosions 

Financial recovery can account for your past, present, and future injury-related losses. We’ve recovered millions for injured claimants, and we hope to resolve your case, as well.  

What Are My Options Following a Work-Related Injury?

Many police officers qualify for workers’ compensation benefits, which pay their medical bills and a portion of their lost wages. However, you may also qualify to file an injury claim or lawsuit. You generally have two years from the date of your accident to file, per IC § 34-11-2-4

You Can File an Insurance Claim

Our law firm can identify the responsible party and file a claim with their insurer. For instance, suppose you were involved in a car accident. Here, we can file a claim with the at-fault motorist’s insurance provider. 

Filing an insurance claim involves: 

  • Proving negligence 
  • Investigating your accident and injuries 
  • Interviewing witnesses 
  • Calculating your losses 
  • Reviewing the liable policy 
  • Managing all necessary communications 

We will do everything your case requires. 

You Can File an Injury Lawsuit

If we can’t reach a settlement with the insurer, we’ll file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. The at-fault party in your case could be a property owner or motorist. 

To advance your lawsuit, our team will: 

  • File your case 
  • Take depositions 
  • Cross-examine witnesses 
  • Object to unfair questions or proceedings 
  • Present evidence 
  • Communicate with the other party’s legal team 
  • Review state law 

We’ll keep you updated on your case’s progress while you recuperate from your injuries. You can also reach your lawyer at any time. 

Our Law Firm Can Address Your Situation’s Challenges

Our team’s prepared to address the following legal challenges: 

Your Employer Dissuades You from Filing a Claim

You have every right to pursue an injury claim after getting hurt. Your employer doesn’t determine your legal rights. If they threaten to fire you for taking legal action, we can fight this. 

The Other Party Blames You for the Accident

Indiana operates on a modified comparative fault system, per IC § 34-51-2-6. Being partially responsible does not bar you from seeking compensation. We will use evidence to assert your right to damages. 

You Don’t Understand Your Legal Rights

We understand that on-the-job accidents can get confusing. You don’t have to do any guesswork regarding your case. We’re here to answer your questions and address your concerns. You can call us 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for help with your case. 

You’re Unsure of What You’re Entitled to Receive

A personal injury claim or lawsuit can yield compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, lost income, and other injury-related expenses. A successful workers’ compensation claim only gives medical expenses, wage replacement benefits, and cash (if medical care can’t restore your health). 

Our team can examine your case and determine what you’re entitled to receive. We’re ready to fight for what you deserve, whether through a claim or lawsuit. 

Begin Your Free Case Review with Our Indiana Injury Law Firm

Our head attorney, Randall Sevenish, was a decorated police captain and SWAT team commander. He’s protected injured claimants’ rights since 1985. If you’re concerned about getting in trouble or fired for hiring a lawyer, don’t be. We’re prepared to advocate for the compensation you need. 

To connect with Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., dial 317-720-3229. We can discuss whether getting a lawyer can get you fired after an on-the-job accident.

Fierce Protectors of the Injured™

Video Testimonials

Copyright © 2023 Sevenish Law | Disclaimer | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Powered by DRIVE Law Firm Marketing

Fierce Protectors of the Injured™

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Contact one of our legal experts and get a prompt review of your case.
24 Hours | 7 days a week

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.