You can ask any question when getting a personal injury lawyer, including:
- Do I have a case?
- What can I recover?
- How much does it cost to hire a lawyer?
- How long will it take to recover compensation?
- What results has the law firm achieved?
- What can I expect from the legal process?
- What practice areas does the firm handle?
Your first case review is your chance to ask questions and decide whether partnering with a lawyer is right for you. You can ask additional questions than those listed here, including those unique to your situation.
Ask Questions About the Validity of Your Case
Even if you know negligence caused your accident, you may wonder whether you have grounds to seek legal aid. So, you may ask your prospective lawyer:
- What kind of accidents count as personal injury cases?
- Can I seek damages even if I contributed to the accident?
- How long do I have to file my case?
- If I have a case, do I need a lawyer to recover damages?
Your first case review is exactly what it sounds like: a free review of your case. During this no-obligation meeting, a lawyer will listen to your case’s facts and explain what options you have for seeking damages.
For a free legal consultation, call 317-636-7777
Ask Questions About the Value of Your Case
It can be surprisingly easy to overlook many of the damages you are allowed to request in your personal injury case. A personal injury lawyer who has assigned a value to cases in the past can ensure no valid expenses are omitted. Ask questions like:
- Which medical bills will the at-fault party have to pay?
- Can I be compensated for my damaged property?
- Will I be reimbursed for the time I cannot return to work?
- Who will compensate me: the negligent party or their insurer?
Your lawyer will explain the bills, receipts, and other documents necessary to prove the extent of your financial expenses and losses.
Ask Questions About the Lawyer’s Fee Structure
You do not have to wait or save up to be able to afford a lawyer. Many personal injury firms represent clients on a contingency-fee basis. To find out what your lawyer will charge, ask:
- Do you work on a contingency-fee basis?
- Who will cover my case’s upfront expenses?
- What percentage of my settlement will you keep?
- Do I have to pay you if my case is unsuccessful?
Look for a personal injury lawyer who will represent you on a contingency-fee basis and who is transparent about their fee agreement and percentage. With this agreement, you can partner with a lawyer without having to worry about your financial obligations.
Click to contact our What Questions to Ask When Getting a Personal Injury Lawyer today
Ask Questions About the Timeline of Your Case
Waiting for compensation can be frustrating – especially if you’re missing work and your medical bills are piling up. It can be even more frustrating when you are not kept in the loop. Ask your prospective representative:
- How long does it take to investigate my accident?
- Do I have to file a lawsuit, even if I prefer a settlement?
- How long will it take to reach a settlement agreement?
- Will the insurance company send a check to you or to me?
While your lawyer cannot guarantee a specific timeline, he can help you understand each step of the claims process. This can help you anticipate a probable timeline and prepare yourself for the best possible result.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Ask Questions About the Law Firm’s History of Case Results
In the digital world, you can simply google a law firm and read about its previous results. However, this only provides part of the story. When you ask a lawyer directly about their experience with other cases, you can get a comprehensive answer.
During your case review, you may also ask:
- What kind of personal injury cases have you handled in the past?
- Can I talk to or hear from some of your previous clients?
- Do you have an online presence and client testimonials?
- Can you point me toward your Google reviews page?
A personal injury lawyer near you will explain how you can vet their law firm and learn more about what it means when you work together.
Contact Our Consultation Team to Explore Your Legal Options
Every personal injury case is different. The questions you ask when getting a personal injury lawyer can help you choose a law firm to represent you. One thing is certain: when you weigh whether to partner with an attorney on your case, they should be open, honest, and willing to address each of your concerns.
You can expect that level of service from Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. We’ve served our community since 1985, and we’ve recovered millions for injured claimants and their families. We’re ready to answer your questions now. To begin your free, confidential case review, call our team today.