Do you know who can be sued following a motorcycle accident?

When you've been injured in a motorcycle accident, you can sue the party responsible for your injuries. Often, the at-fault party is another motorist who violated traffic laws, thus causing an accident and ultimately your injuries.

Indiana motorcycle crash

However, this isn't always the case. Sometimes, the appropriate party to name in a motorcycle accident personal injury lawsuit may be someone who wasn't even there at the time, such as a parts manufacturer, government agency, or social host.

For example, if a defective motorcycle component caused or contributed to your accident, you may be able to sue the manufacturer of the faulty part. If a poorly maintained or unsafe road caused your accident, the municipal, county, or state agency responsible for maintaining the road may be held liable.

Even in cases where the motorcycle crash involved another motorist, determining who to sue may not be so simple. For instance, if the driver of the other vehicle was drunk, he—along with the bartender, establishment or social host who over served them—may be sued for damages.

There are also times when the motorist who caused the accident was borrowing the vehicle from another person. In some such cases, the owner of the vehicle—as well as the personal who was driving at the time of the accident—may be named as defendants in a subsequent lawsuit.

Fortunately, regardless of the situation, an experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you determine exactly who to sue.

Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?

After a devastating motorcycle accident, a totaled motorcycle may be the least of your worries. You may be seriously injured, facing grueling rehabilitation treatments, and unable to work while you recover. Randy Sevenish of Sevenish Law can help you fight for the financial recovery you need and deserve. Contact our Indianapolis law office today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.