An accident in Indiana can leave you with physical and emotional pain – and you could be entitled to compensation for the damages. You owe it to yourself and your family to pursue legal action. But where do you turn? What are the next steps? These details can be overwhelming.
You do not have to take on the burden alone. At Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., we can handle the legal matters while you focus on recovery. Our Greenwood personal injury lawyers are ready to start working on your case right away. We offer free, no-obligation consultations.
Recovering Your Losses After an Injury in Greenwood, IN
The damages you can recover for a personal injury will vary from case to case. Nonetheless, the general types of losses you could recover include:
- Medical bills
- Long-term treatment and medication
- Physical rehabilitation
- Psychological care from a counselor
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages, including back pay and future pay
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You Can Recover Compensation After a Loved One’s Wrongful Death
If your loved one passed away because of someone’s negligent actions, you may be entitled to file for wrongful death damages. These include:
- Funeral costs
- Loss of wages and benefits provided by the victim
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of protection and support
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Greenwood, call 317-636-7777
How a Personal Injury Lawyer at Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. Can Serve You
You may consider taking on a personal injury case yourself. This can be a costly choice, however. Handling injury cases can take time, energy, and money. The insurance companies will be prepared, and they know what they are doing. You may want a lawyer’s help so you can be just as prepared to seek your due.
At Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., we care about our clients and will pursue the best possible outcome for your case. While you recover from the accident at home, our attorneys can:
- Investigate your case
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Determine who was liable
- Estimate your current and long-term losses, including non-financial losses such as pain and suffering or emotional distress
- Act as the intermediary between you and the other involved parties
- Negotiate your settlement with insurance companies
- Pursue your case in court, if necessary
- Give you updates about your case’s progress
- Answer and address any of your questions regarding your case
We provide these services and others on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning that you don’t have to worry about paying us any retainers or out-of-pocket fees. If we don’t obtain your compensation, we will not charge you a dime.
Our Attorneys Will Work to Prove Negligence in Your Injury Case
Something all personal injury cases have in common is negligence. Essentially, negligence means that someone was careless or reckless in causing your injury – and therefore, they are liable for your losses.
To prove negligence, our lawyers will show that these four elements are true of your case:
- Duty of care: The other party was supposed to keep you safe (i.e., a driver is obligated to abide by all road rules).
- Breach of duty: The other party failed to uphold this responsibility (i.e., the driver was speeding).
- Causation: The other party caused an accident and injured you.
- Damages: You faced non-financial and financial damages.
This may sound complex, but don’t worry. If you hire our team, we can explain all you need to know about proving negligence, and we’ll gather solid evidence to make your case.
Our Attorneys Know the Law in Greenwood, IN
Indiana imposes a time limit that generally allows no longer than two years to file a personal injury lawsuit (IC § 34-11-2-4). The clock for that two-year limit begins on the date of your injury accident. Typically, once that two-year clock has run out, you lose the right to file a lawsuit pursuing damages in your case.
Some exceptions to this rule can impact that timeline, like in cases where the victim is under the age of 18 or is mentally incapacitated after the injury. In the case of wrongful death, the surviving family members generally have two years to pursue damages—in this case, beginning on the date of that person’s passing.
Understanding the law in Indiana does not have to be a burden for you while you recover from your injuries. Our personal injury lawyers can guide you and explain any relevant laws in Greenwood that affect your case.
Greenwood Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 317-636-7777
Common Accidents That Lead to a Personal Injury Case in Indiana
There are several common types of accidents that can lead to personal injury cases in Greenwood, IN. We can help you with the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- First responder accidents
- Defective product injuries
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Work injury
- Slip and fall accidents
- Premises liability cases
- Pedestrian accidents
Slip and Falls
Dangerous surfaces can lead to serious injury or death from falls. Broken hips, back injuries, and fractures are just a few of the many consequences of a slip and fall.
Although the liable party may try to downplay liability, we will investigate how your accident happened and prove how you sustained injuries.
Unfortunately, some workplaces may not abide by common safety practices, such as using and enforcing personal protective equipment to avoid accidents. Per the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), some of the most hazardous conditions that lead to workplace injury include:
- Inadequate respiratory protection
- Inadequate machinery guards
We can help you seek compensation in third-party cases for construction site injuries and other workplace accidents. We will work with your workers’ compensation attorney.
Any accident involving a vehicle can be catastrophic. Some forms of negligence that lead to accidents in Indiana include:
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while tired or drowsy
- Distracted driving
Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents and often results from texting while driving, talking on the phone, changing the radio, or talking to a passenger, per the National Highway Safety Association (NHTSA).
If the negligence of another driver caused your crash, you could be entitled to compensation.
We trust that the products we are consuming will not hurt us. Unfortunately, defective products can cause accidents and even death. Some types of products that can cause injuries to consumers include:
- Pet food
- Children’s toys
- Lawn products
If a defective product caused you harm, you may be able to hold the responsible company accountable.
Accidents happen, but if the injury is due to someone else’s negligent actions, you have the right to pursue compensation to cover the damages you incurred. Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. can stand up for you against negligent parties.
Click to contact our Greenwood Personal Injury Lawyer today
What to Do If You Were Hurt in an Accident in Greenwood, IN
Immediately after an injury accident, you should make a report of the accident – whether through the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, your employer, or through an indecent report. Then, consider the following:
Avoid Signing Documents That Limit Your Right to a Fair Settlement
Depending on how you suffered harm, the liable party or their representatives may try to contact you or ask you to take certain actions soon after the incident.
You should be wary of the following:
- Early offers. The liable party’s representatives may call you and offer an early settlement. However, be aware that this may be a low offer. If you agree to it, you will be unable to seek additional compensation down the line—and you could be left paying out of pocket for injury-related expenses.
- Signing a waiver after an accident. This could limit your ability to take legal action and effectively release the company of liability.
Before signing any important documents or accepting any settlements, we advise getting in touch with our team. We can review these offers and explain your legal options.
Get Medical Attention and Keep Getting Needed Care
Getting medical care after an accident is crucial. Then, it’s just as important to keep getting the treatments your doctor advises. They may recommend that you:
- Get rest
- Stay home from work
- Take medications
- Get follow-up treatment
- Attend physical therapy appointments
- Get surgery
Follow through with this medical advice. By documenting the extent of your health needs, you build evidence to prove the seriousness of your injuries.
Act Promptly to Begin Your Injury Case
You should get started on your case as soon as you can. This is because:
- You’ll be better able to meet important deadlines, such as the statute of limitations.
- You’ll give your legal team more time to build a strong case.
- You’ll be able to gather time-sensitive evidence.
Get a Free Case Review
We advise getting a free case review after an injury. This call comes with no obligation, and you can have a chance to learn important insights about your case and the legal process. You can ask us about:
- What forms of compensation you could seek
- Who could be liable for your case
- How our contingency fees work
- How to get started working with a lawyer from our team
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Frequently Asked Questions in Greenwood Personal Injury Cases
You deserve answers to your questions. Our team is ready to help you now and throughout your case.
How Much Could I Get in a Settlement?
Personal injury cases are as unique as the circumstances involved in each one. After completing an initial investigation of your case, we can give you a better sense of what we could seek in a settlement. When we review your case, we’ll be looking at factors such as:
- Who caused your accident. The liable party’s identity can determine a lot about your case. If a trucking company is liable for your car accident, for instance, we may be working with a much higher insurance policy limit – and we could seek up to those limits if your case warrants it.
- How serious your injuries were. The more serious your injuries, the more likely you’ll be able to argue for higher compensation. After all, every aspect of your life could be inconvenienced after a serious injury.
- The cost of your injury-related losses. Again, if your expenses related to the accident are higher, we can make a stronger case for increased compensation. If you require tens of thousands of dollars in medical care over many months, we could request more in accordance.
How do I Know If an Insurance Adjuster’s Offer is Accurate?
This is one of the most important functions of a lawyer: we can bring our perspective when evaluating settlement offers. Unfortunately, many initial offers do not accurately reflect the full value of your case, and we can review these offers and tell you why.
Often, the insurance company will try to say your injuries or medical expenses were less than they are—and we will build evidence to show what you’re owed. The adjuster may also grossly undervalue the cost of your non-financial damages, such as pain and suffering.
What Else Should I Know About Contingency Fees?
Contingency fees offer a route for injury victims to seek justice without having to pay for legal help in advance. This limits the financial risks of bringing a legal case.
Here’s how these fees work:
- You pay nothing up front.
- We receive a percentage-based portion of your final settlement or award.
- We’ll explain our contingency percentage rate so you understand what to expect.
This fee structure is beneficial because our goals are aligned with yours. Again, if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
What Makes Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. Different?
There are several ways that Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. is unique. Here are a few:
- Our focus on personal injury. Personal injury is all we do, and our experience means that we know how to seek the best results for you. We’re not like jack-of-all-trades firms that are masters of none.
- Our founder’s lifetime of service. Formerly a SWAT team commander, Attorney Randall “Randy” Sevenish brings a lifetime of service to his practice. He is dedicated to investigating your personal injury accident and representing those who were wrongfully injured.
- We give personalized attention to each case. At our firm, you aren’t a number. We will be with you throughout every step of your case and ensure you feel supported.
Contact Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. for a Personal Injury Case in Johnson County
We are available to answer your questions 24/7. Let our lawyers worry about seeking the compensation you need so you can focus on your healing.
Call Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. today at (317) 636-7777 to speak with a team member today. The consultation is free and confidential.