If a speeding driver caused your Indianapolis, Indiana car accident, you may be eligible to hold them accountable. This process may allow you to recover a payout you may be entitled to which could help you make ends meet while you might be out of work and cover other losses related to your accident and injuries.
Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., led by personal injury attorney Randall Sevenish, may be able to help you file an Indianapolis insurance claim or car accident suit to pursue compensation from the speeding motorist who was at fault in your accident. Let us review your case for free by calling 317-720-3229 for a consultation with an Indianapolis speeding lawyer with the Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., team.
Speeding is a Common Cause of Indiana Traffic Accidents
According to the Indiana University Public Policy Institute, close to one out of ten car accidents in 2018 involved a speeding driver in Indiana. This accounts for 19,604 accidents, many of which caused injuries or even death to the at-fault driver and/or others involved.
Speeding, whether exceeding the posted limit or going too fast for any present weather or road conditions, may lead to traffic accidents. Some of the risks of speeding, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), include:
- An increased risk of losing control of the car
- More difficulty reacting quickly enough and stopping on time when necessary
- The seatbelt, airbag, and other safety equipment not working as effectively
- More serious injuries because of increased forces in an accident
Just because a driver was speeding does not mean they will always be held liable for causing an accident. We may need to identify the exact action that led to the accident and determine who is liable.
At Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., an Indianapolis speeding lawyer can review your case for free. If you qualify, we may offer to handle your case based on contingency, so you will not need to pay anything upfront for our representation. Call 317-720-3229 to learn more.
Damages Possibly Recoverable in an Indianapolis Speeding Car Accident Case
If the Indianapolis car accident legal team from Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., accepts a case, it is because they believe a client may have been a victim of someone else’s negligence. We may prove negligence and liability by collecting evidence to support the insurance claim we may file on the client’s behalf. We may also document the client’s accident-related damages.
Damages differ based on the facts of the case, the individual’s injuries, and other factors. When it comes to your case, we may calculate your documentable expenses and losses and put a price on any non-economic damages. Then, we may be able to discuss the potential settlement value of your case with you. Recoverable damages may include:
- Current and future medical treatment and all related care costs
- Missed wages and benefits
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Wrongful death damages for qualifying family members
- Pain and suffering damages
Trust Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., with Your Indianapolis Car Accident Case
Since 1985, personal injury lawyer Randall Sevenish has taken on cases that have helped injured parties recover economic and non-economic losses, and hold the at-fault parties liable. If you suffered injuries because someone else was speeding or otherwise behaving carelessly or recklessly, Randy and his team may be able to fight to protect your rights and build a case for the compensation you may be entitled to.
Randy and the team from Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., handle only car accidents and other negligence injury cases. These cases hinge on proving negligence, liability, and damages. Under Indiana Code 34-51-2-5, you may still be able to recover damages even if your actions contributed to the accident or your injuries in some way. However, this may reduce the value of your case, so we may be able to fight these accusations.
We may gather evidence to help us prove your case, including:
- The Vehicle Crash Report filed by the responding officers
- Any other information pertaining to citations given
- Eyewitness statements
- A survey of the scene
- Physical evidence
- Your relevant medical records
- Accident reconstruction data
- Expert opinions, if needed
- Paperwork and other proof of your damages
This evidence may support our case as we negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier or in court.
There is a Statute of Limitations on Filing an Indiana Personal Injury Lawsuit
Under Indiana Codes 34-11-2, victims of personal injury accidents in Indiana generally only have two years to file a lawsuit against the liable party or parties who caused their injuries and other losses. If you do not reach a settlement or file suit by the time this deadline passes, you may lose your right to file a legal claim.
As soon as your injuries are stable, we encourage you to reach out to an Indianapolis speeding accident team at Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. If you qualify to take legal action, we may be able to go to work protecting your rights, handle all communications in your case, and gather evidence.
What to Do After a Speeding Driver Accident in Indianapolis
If you are suddenly struck by a driver exceeding the posted speed limit, it is understandable if it catches you off guard. But it’s important that you get your bearings as much as you can and take these essential steps:
- Remain calm and check yourself and other passengers for visible injuries. If you can, you should also get to a safe place away from the crash scene and out of the way of moving traffic.
- Call the police and paramedics. Wait for emergency care and law enforcement to come to the crash site. Once they arrive, you can get medical care from the first responders. Even in injuries aren’t visible, it is still possible you could have injuries whose symptoms haven’t emerged yet. Get the police officer’s name and other important information, as well as a copy of the police report.
- Document the crash scene with photos and video footage. If you can, make notes about the cars involved, the location, and any information that can help if you hire an Indianapolis lawyer who handles vehicle accidents. You can also write notes that help you recall how the accident happened. You can speak with witnesses, too. Get their contact information so you can reach out to them later.
- Collect important information from the other driver. This includes their driver’s license number, insurance information, license plate number, and other information. Keep conversation limited as you exchange this information. Avoid discussing or admitting fault for the crash, and do not apologize. Any of these actions could be viewed as fault on your part later.
- Inform your insurance company about the Indianapolis speeding car accident. When you call your insurer, stick to the facts of the accident. Avoid details about what took place. You can tell them you received medical treatment. You can also hire an Indianapolis personal injury lawyer to handle your speeding car accident case. They can represent you and take care of all communications with your insurance company as well as the opposing party’s insurer.
- Get in touch with an Indianapolis car accident attorney. Putting your life back together after an Indianapolis exceeding posted speed limits accident can have a lot of moving parts. Our attorney can manage your entire injury case for you. We can advise you of your options for recovery, investigate how the accident happened, collect evidence, identify the at-fault party and negotiate for a fair settlement that covers your damages. We can also review any settlement offers you receive so that you don’t accept a settlement that’s too low for your needs.
Speak to a Member of the Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., Car Accident Team Today
If you sustained injuries in an Indianapolis, Indiana, car accident caused by a speeding driver, you may be able to hold the negligent motorist responsible and recover compensation with help from Sevenish Law Firm, P.C.
Instead of trying to navigate this process on your own or relying on a jack-of-all-trades attorney from a discount firm, trust your case to a firm that only handles car accident cases and other personal injury accidents.
You may speak to a member of the Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., team today by calling 317-720-3229. Our initial consultations and case evaluations are always free.