Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is different from other injuries, as the signs of TBI may not be readily observed or understood by others. If someone else caused your head injury, we can help you seek compensation.
We understand how injuries affect the brain’s functions and the impact that a TBI can have on the lives of victims and their families. Our Indianapolis brain injury lawyer will aggressively seek the compensation that you deserve.
Recoverable Damages After a Head Injury
Your injury could have affected all areas of your life and finances. We can help you pursue recovery of all your costs and losses related to the accident.
A TBI victim may need extensive medical treatment. Any of your necessary medical costs are potentially recoverable, including:
- Emergency care
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Mental health counseling
- Long-term hospitalization, nursing care, or residency in an assisted-living facility
Calculating the Value of Your Case
While in cases of catastrophic injury we may be able to pursue a higher settlement, even so-called “minor” TBIs can still be extremely costly. We will work to recover every possible dollar in your case.
- A concussion is a mild form of TBI. A victim may only suffer the effects of the concussion for a few days or weeks. Still, you may have needed expensive diagnostic testing and even physical therapy. You could have lost income from days or weeks of missed work.
- A more severe form of TBI can lead to a permanent disability, coma, or death. The victim may also be unable to return to a job he or she once had or return to work. Such severe TBIs may lead to a lifetime of consequences for victims and their families, affecting a family’s finances over the long term.
Your Non-Medical Losses Can Also Be Considered
We know that families may be unable to enjoy the services or love, care, and affection that a victim once provided them. You may need help with daily tasks such as eating, dressing, and bathing, as well.
You can also seek compensation for:
- The cost of in-home care
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Wrongful Death from a TBI
For those who lost a family member to a TBI that someone else caused, additional forms of compensation may be available. You could seek damages for:
- Your loved one’s final medical expenses
- The costs of a funeral and burial
- Loss of love and companionship
After losing someone, taking on a legal case can be overwhelming. We can manage every part of a wrongful death claim or lawsuit for you.
Suing for Damages After You Suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury in Indianapolis
If you suffered a brain injury in Indianapolis, you only have so much time to hold the negligent party accountable. IC § 34-11-2-4 dictates how long you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. In most cases, claimants are given two years to submit their case.
Exceptions may apply, but they aren’t very common. You may forfeit your right to compensation if you try to file after the statute expires. Getting our brain injury lawyer involved soon will help you avoid missing the deadline.
How do I Know If I Have a Case?
Simply put, you have a personal injury case if you can prove that someone else was responsible for your injuries. This party may have been negligent through their actions (such as an assault) or their inactions (such as a failure to remove a tripping hazard). Depending on how your TBI happened, negligent parties could include business owners, vehicle drivers, homeowners, and more.
Determining how someone else’s negligence led to your accident and proving this claim is a complicated matter. We recommend that you call us for a free case review to understand if you have a valid case.
During your free call, you can ask us more about:
- Who may be responsible for your injuries
- How much compensation you could seek
- How we could move forward with a claim or lawsuit
Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. Understands Brain Injury Cases
We are active members and recognized by the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association. To discuss how our injury attorneys can help you, please contact us today. We serve clients in Indianapolis and across Indiana.
- Speak with you anytime – day or night – for a case review
- Provide a free consultation and advise you on your legal options
- Aggressively seek the best possible settlement for you
Our record of million-dollar settlements for clients speaks to our commitment to results for you. Personal injury law is all we do, and we can go to work for you today. Check out some of our client testimonials, as they discuss what it’s like teaming up with our firm.
“I would not be where I am today without Sevenish. Without them I would have got NOTHING. Instead I now have a 6 Figure check. Make sure you use the right firm. The staff treats you like family. They are best of the best…” – James G.
“Sevenish Law Firm responded very quickly on my case. Very patient to let me tell my story on what had happened. After they gathered their information, they kept me posted on things that were going on with my case. I have no regrets going with Sevenish Law Firm…” – Gia W.
Types of Brain Injury Cases We Can Help You with
At Sevenish Law Firm, P.C., our Indianapolis brain injury attorneys frequently encounter brain injuries when helping clients. This is because TBI is a common result of accidents that are caused by others’ negligence. The injury may occur in:
- Motor vehicle accidents – Accidents involving cars, trucks, and motorcycles are the leading cause of TBI, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Slip and falls – These are especially a concern when the victim is an elderly resident of a nursing home.
- Workplace accidents – Falls from ladders, scaffolds, or roofs may result in TBI, and workers may also suffer injuries when struck by tools, equipment or debris, or when exposed to explosive blasts.
- Child injuries – Children, in particular, can suffer a TBI when they are not given adequate protective equipment when playing organized sports (football helmets, for example) or when they are not properly supervised.
- Assaults – A person may suffer a brain injury when an assault occurs due to a property owner or landlord’s negligent failure to provide adequate security.
See a medical professional without delay. Also, if you have been involved in an accident, you should take any signs or symptoms of TBI seriously, including:
- Blurred vision
- Slurred speech
How Traumatic Brain Injuries Occur
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) typically occurs when a person’s head strikes a fixed object or when an object hits the head or penetrates the brain. It also results from being violently shaken, which can cause the brain to slam against the skull.
TBI victims may fail to understand the seriousness of the symptoms they are experiencing. This is why anyone who has been involved in an accident of any kind should be checked out by a doctor immediately. A victim may have a TBI and not realize it.
How Does a TBI Affect the Brain?
As the Brain Injury Association of America (BIAUSA) describes, TBI involves changes to the neuronal activity in the brain. The neurons form tracts that transmit messages to different parts of the brain, which in turn transmit messages to different parts of the body and allow us to function. When neurons are damaged, it prevents the body from carrying out specific functions.
For example, the frontal lobe of the brain controls our ability to concentrate. If this part of the brain is damaged, a person may be unable to focus on job tasks or even on tasks as simple as tying one’s shoes.
An Indianapolis Brain Injury Attorney with Our Firm Can Handle Every Part of Your Case
Indiana doesn’t require you to hire a lawyer after you were involved in a negligent accident. You can represent yourself (also known as pro se representation), but this route presents its challenges. To illustrate, if you’re unfamiliar with the legal system or personal injury jargon, you could set yourself back in the claims process. Having a brain injury lawyer from our team advocate for you can help you heal without unnecessary stress.
Our law firm can thoroughly investigate the cause of the TBI in your case, drawing on the skills that Randy has acquired through many years as a law enforcement officer as well as an attorney. We can also consult with medical experts, rehabilitation specialists, life-care planners, and economists to determine the full extent of the injury and losses you and your family have suffered.
In pursuit of your claim or lawsuit, we will also:
- Access a copy of the incident or police report
- Review your medical records
- Gather photographs, witnesses statements, video footage, and other evidence to back up your claim
- Identify the liable party
- Negotiate with an insurance company on your behalf
- Speak to all parties involved on your behalf
- Take your case to court, if necessary
- Ensure your case complies with any important laws or deadlines
How Much It Costs to Enlist Our Legal Services in Indianapolis
There’s no need to worry about affording a brain injury lawyer with our firm, as they will represent you on a no-win, no-fee basis. Therefore:
- Our team will finance your brain injury case from beginning to end.
- We will not charge you retainers, upfront fees, or hourly rate.
Should your lawyer secure a financial award for you, they will take a percentage of that figure as their payment. No payment is due if they don’t settle or win your case. This method is to limit your financial risk so that you don’t have to worry about paying additional out-of-pocket expenses.
Why You Should Consider Sevenish Law Firm, P.C.
Attorney Randall “Randy” Sevenish understands and appreciates the costs and challenges faced by TBI victims and their loved ones. He is committed to seeking just compensation if an injury has been caused by another’s misconduct.
Ultimately, our firm can negotiate aggressively with the at-fault party’s insurance company or take your case to court to pursue just compensation. If we take on your case, our Indianapolis brain injury attorney will represent you with the integrity, honor, and discipline you deserve.
Our Indianapolis traumatic brain injury attorney has nearly three decades of experience with assisting those who have suffered a traumatic brain injury due to negligence.
Call Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. Today to Get Started on Your Marion County Brain Injury Case
Suffering a brain injury can totally upend your life. You shouldn’t be the one footing the bills for the resulting expenses. Although no amount of damages can alter what happened, it can help you adjust to your new lifestyle. Allow our brain injury lawyer to handle your entire case while you get the treatment you need.
You can get started by contacting Sevenish Law Firm, P.C. for a free, confidential, and timely consultation. We will carefully review your case and answer your questions. We will charge no attorney fees unless you recover compensation. Call us today at 317-720-3229.