Hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver and Filing a claim

If hit by an uninsured or under-insured driver (UIM), you may very well be better off to file an uninsured motorist's (UM) claim with your own motor vehicle insurance policy. So make sure you have sufficient UM and UIM coverage on your own.